Home / News / India News / Article / Shiv Sena (UBT) MP hits out at Amit Shah over women's reservation bill remarks

Shiv Sena (UBT) MP hits out at Amit Shah over women's reservation bill remarks

Amit Shah, during the debate on the women's reservation bill in the Lok Sabha, said the census and delimitation exercises would be conducted after the Lok Sabha polls next year and the women's quota law will come into effect thereafter

Listen to this article :
Shiv Sena (UBT) MP Priyanka Chaturvedi. File Pic

Shiv Sena (UBT) MP Priyanka Chaturvedi. File Pic

Coming down heavily on Union Home Minister Amit Shah over his remarks explaining the rationale behind the formation of a Delimitation Committee amid calls from the Opposition to implement the draft women's reservation bill at the earliest, Shiv Sena (UBT) MP Priyanka Chaturvedi on Wednesday said his statement was "hypocritical" as a promise made in the BJP's 2014 manifesto for a Bill that had been in limbo for long, took nine years to clear the first legislative hurdle in Parliament, reported news agency ANI.

Speaking to ANI after the draft legislation was passed by a brute majority in the Lok Sabha, Priyanka Chaturvedi said, "His (Amit Shah's) statement was hypocritical as the BJP made an electoral commitment to women nine years ago, in its manifesto for the 2014 (Lok Sabha) elections, to bring a women's reservation law. Despite them (BJP) being the largest single party (in the 2014 and 2019 LS polls) and many in the Opposition raising a chorus for the women's reservation bill, it took them nine years to bring it to fruition. It was hypocritical also because of the (contentious) clause that the implementation of the law is subject to a census and a delimitation exercise. The census has been delayed since 2021."

Trending Stories

Latest Photoscta-pos

Latest VideosView All

Latest Web StoriesView All

Mid-Day FastView All

Advertisement