Home / Sports / Other Sports / Article / Simona Halep to appear before CAS to appeal four-year doping ban

Simona Halep to appear before CAS to appeal four-year doping ban

"The parties, witnesses and experts will attend the hearing both in person and remotely, including Ms Halep who will be present in person," CAS said

Listen to this article :
Simona Halep. Pic/AFP

Simona Halep. Pic/AFP

Former world number one Simona Halep will appear before a three-day hearing of the Court of Arbitration for Sport starting on Wednesday to appeal her four-year doping ban, CAS confirmed. The 32-year-old Romanian was suspended last September by the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) after two separate doping infractions. The two-time Grand Slam singles champion tested positive for roxadustat after the US Open in 2022 and was charged with a separate second anti-doping breach last year relating to irregularities in her athlete biological passport. On Tuesday, CAS said the hearing will take place over three days starting Wednesday at their headquarters in Lausanne. 

"The parties, witnesses and experts will attend the hearing both in person and remotely, including Ms Halep who will be present in person," CAS said. Halep has protested her innocence and refused to accept the ITIA decision which will keep her from playing professional tennis again until October 6, 2026. The winner of the 2018 French Open and 2019 Wimbledon singles titles says she wants to "clear her name" and has claimed experts found she had accidentally taken a contaminated supplement. 

Trending Stories

Latest Photoscta-pos

Latest VideosView All

Latest Web StoriesView All

Mid-Day FastView All

Advertisement