Home / Mumbai / Mumbai News / Article / From letting suspects free, to procedural lapses: How Wankhede bungled probe

From letting suspects free, to procedural lapses: How Wankhede bungled probe

The vigilance team’s report and its charge sheet highlight many glaring violations—removal of 16 names mentioned in the tip-off, failure to file NIL panchnamas; giving a free hand to witness K P Gosavi

Listen to this article :
Sameer Wankhede. Pic/Satej Shinde (left) Aryan Khan is escorted by officers outside the NCB office on October 3, 2021. Pic/Shadab Khan

Sameer Wankhede. Pic/Satej Shinde (left) Aryan Khan is escorted by officers outside the NCB office on October 3, 2021. Pic/Shadab Khan

The then zonal director Sameer Wankhede who raided the “drug” party on the Cordelia cruise ship in October last year violated multiple rules in the NCB field officers’ handbook. The vigilance team’s report and its charge sheet highlight many glaring violations—removal of 16 names mentioned in the tip-off, failure to file NIL panchnamas; giving a free hand to witness K P Gosavi; letting witnesses handle detainees during their transfer to NCB office; not bringing lady cops despite inputs of women suspects; and alleged attempt at extorting Shah Rukh Khan. Moreover, sources have said that they let off two top cops without checking them.

Among the officers named in the charge sheet are Wankhede, former superintendent at NCB Vishwavijay Singh, junior intelligence officer S R Shinde and former intelligence officer of NCB Ashish Ranjan who was also the investigating officer in the Cordelia Cruises drug case, sources said. Ranjan, who was posted with the NCB on probation, has returned to the CISF--his parent cadre.

Trending Stories

Latest Photoscta-pos

Latest VideosView All

Latest Web StoriesView All

Mid-Day FastView All

Advertisement