Updated On: 12 October, 2021 08:22 AM IST | Mumbai | Dharmendra Jore
The opposition leader says the MVA’s statewide bandh amounted to contempt of court as the Supreme Court and the Bombay High Court have barred such agitations

Members of the Shiv Sena protest near Shiv Sena Bhavan, Dadar on Monday during the bandh. Pic/Shadab Khan
Commuters found themselves stuck without conveyance in most areas of the city with BEST deciding to stay off the roads for most part of the day. Eleven BEST buses were vandalised earlier in the day. Cabs and autos, too, plied cautiously, with only trains operating without a hitch. Shopkeepers were angry at being forced to stay closed in a festive week. Most schools switched to online mode for the day as some teachers found it hard to get to school. In Thane, auto and cab drivers said Shiv Sena workers were quite aggressive, with protesters beating up those who were working.
Opposition leader Devendra Fadnavis alleged state-sponsored excesses during the statewide bandh on Monday. He said the police, state GST department and BEST administration were used to enforce the agitation on the general public, traders and transporters. He urged the Bombay High Court to take suo motu cognizance of the bandh because it amounted to contempt of court. The court had barred such agitations and even penalised the Shiv Sena for breaching the verdict.