Home / News / World News / Article / Covid-19 health emergency could be over this year: WHO

Covid-19 health emergency could be over this year: WHO

But official says if vaccines and other tools aren’t shared fairly, the tragedy of the virus, which has so far killed more than 5.5 million people worldwide, will continue

Listen to this article :
A woman stands in front of a mask-clad lion statue outside a department store in Tokyo on Tuesday. Pic/AFP

A woman stands in front of a mask-clad lion statue outside a department store in Tokyo on Tuesday. Pic/AFP

The worst of the coronavirus pandemic — deaths, hospitalisations, lockdowns — could be over this year if huge inequities in vaccinations and medicines are addressed quickly, head of emergencies at the World Health Organisation said Tuesday. Dr. Michael Ryan, in a discussion on vaccine inequity hosted by the World Economic Forum, said “we may never end the virus” because such pandemic viruses “end up becoming part of the ecosystem.” 

But “we have a chance to end the public health emergency this year if we do the things that we’ve been talking about,” he said. WHO has slammed imbalance in COVID-19 vaccinations between rich and poor countries as a catastrophic moral failure. Less than 10% of people in lower-income countries have got even one dose of vaccine.

Trending Stories

Latest Photoscta-pos

Latest VideosView All

Latest Web StoriesView All

Mid-Day FastView All

Advertisement