Home / News / World News / Article / Israel says Hamas handed over wrong body amid fragile ceasefire tensions

Israel says Hamas handed over wrong body amid fragile ceasefire tensions

Israel’s military reported that one of the bodies handed over by Hamas as part of the ceasefire deal does not match any of the hostages held in Gaza. This adds to tensions over the fragile ceasefire, as Israel continues to demand the return of all deceased hostages under the US-proposed agreement

Listen to this article :
Displaced Palestinians walk past destroyed buildings as they return to their homes in the in al-Zahra area, in the central Gaza Strip, on Tuesday. PIC/AFP

Displaced Palestinians walk past destroyed buildings as they return to their homes in the in al-Zahra area, in the central Gaza Strip, on Tuesday. PIC/AFP

The Israeli military said on Wednesday that one of the bodies handed over by Hamas the previous day as part of the ceasefire deal is not that of one of the hostages who was held in Gaza, adding to tensions over a fragile ceasefire in the two-year war. Four bodies were handed over by Hamas on Tuesday to ease pressure on the fragile ceasefire, following the first four on Monday, when the last 20 living hostages were released. In all, Israel was awaiting the return of the bodies of 28 deceased hostages.

The military said that “following the completion of examinations at the National Institute of Forensic Medicine, the fourth body handed over to Israel by Hamas does not match any of the hostages”. Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu demanded earlier on Wednesday that Hamas fulfil the requirements laid out in the ceasefire deal, introduced by US President Donald Trump, about the return of the hostages’ bodies. “We will not compromise on this and will not stop our efforts until we return the last deceased hostage, until the last one,” he said.

Trending Stories

Latest Photoscta-pos

Latest VideosView All

Latest Web StoriesView All

Mid-Day FastView All

Advertisement