Home / News / World News / Article / Same woman had tried to attack pope last year

Same woman had tried to attack pope last year

The woman who knocked down Pope Benedict XVI during Christmas Eve mass at St Peter's Basilica will undergo "necessary treatment" in hospital, the Vatican said yesterday.

Listen to this article :

The woman who knocked down Pope Benedict XVI during Christmas Eve mass at St Peter's Basilica will undergo "necessary treatment" in hospital, the Vatican said yesterday.

Susanna Maiolo (25) was hospitalised after stunning pilgrims in the basilica by leaping over a security barricade and pulling Pope Benedict (82) to the floor in a dramatic start to the mass late on Thursday.

Lombardi described the woman, of dual Swiss and Italian nationality, as "apparently unbalanced". Maiolo already tried to get near the pope on the same occasion last year, but security guards held her back.

The pontiff got back on his feet within moments and went on to celebrate the mass.

u00a0

Trending Stories

Latest Photoscta-pos

Latest VideosView All

Latest Web StoriesView All

Mid-Day FastView All

Advertisement