Home / News / World News / Article / State migrants chief held for trial in Mexico’s deadly fire

State migrants chief held for trial in Mexico’s deadly fire

The judge ordered the director, Salvador Gonzalez, held in prison pending trial

Listen to this article :
A makeshift altar in honour of migrants who died in last month’s fire, at immigration detention centre in Ciudad Juarez, Thursday. Pic/AP

A makeshift altar in honour of migrants who died in last month’s fire, at immigration detention centre in Ciudad Juarez, Thursday. Pic/AP

A judge on Saturday ordered the immigration director of Mexico’s northern border state of Chihuahua to stand trial Saturday on charges of homicide, injuries and failure to perform his duties, for last month’s deadly fire at a migrant detention center. The judge ordered the director, Salvador Gonzalez, held in prison pending trial.

Judge Juan Jose Chavez said there was evidence that Gonzalez failed to do his duty to protect the migrants. Forty migrants died in the March 27 fire in the border city of Ciudad Juarez, after a migrant allegedly set fire to foam mattresses to protest a supposed transfer. “In the end, everything depends on the head” official, Chavez said. “Not complying with standards does have its results.”

Trending Stories

Latest Photoscta-pos

Latest VideosView All

Latest Web StoriesView All

Mid-Day FastView All

Advertisement