Home / News / World News / Article / Taliban to announce secondary school for girls: UN official

Taliban to announce secondary school for girls: UN official

He said the Taliban's education minister told him they are working on 'a framework' to allow all girls to continue their schooling beyond the sixth grade, which should be published 'between a month and two'

Listen to this article :
Afghan women walk along a road in Kabul. Pic/AFP

Afghan women walk along a road in Kabul. Pic/AFP

A senior UN official has said that the Taliban told him they will announce “very soon” that all Afghan girls will be allowed to attend secondary schools.

UNICEF Deputy Executive Director Omar Abdi, who visited Kabul last week, told reporters at UN headquarters on Friday that five of Afghanistan's 34 provinces -- Balkh, Jawzjan and Samangan in the northwest, Kunduz in the northeast and Urozgan in the southwest -- are already allowing girls to attend secondary school.

Trending Stories

Latest Photoscta-pos

Latest VideosView All

Latest Web StoriesView All

Mid-Day FastView All

Advertisement