Updated On: 03 August, 2020 08:35 AM IST | Melbourne | Agencies
Melbourne residents will only be allowed to shop and exercise within 5 km of their homes. The deaths in Victoria took the national toll to 208

People shop at Queen Victoria Market before a citywide curfew is introduced in Melbourne, on Sunday. Pic/AP
Victoria Premier Daniel Andrews has declared a disaster among sweeping new coronavirus restrictions across Melbourne and elsewhere from Sunday night. Andrews says 671 new coronavirus cases had been detected in Australia's hard-hit state since Saturday, including seven deaths. It comes among a steadily increasing toll in both deaths and infections over the past six weeks in Victoria.
"If we don't make these changes, we're not going to get through this," Andrews said. "We need to do more. That is what these decisions are about." He said there would be more announcements about workplaces on Monday, including the closure of certain industries. "I want to ensure all Victorians — supermarkets, the butcher, the baker, food, beverage, groceries, those types of settings — there will be no impact there," he said. Melbourne residents will only be allowed to shop and exercise within 5 km of their homes. The deaths in Victoria took the national toll to 208.