Home / Sports / Other Sports / Article / F1: Chinese GP postponed amidst Coronavirus fears

F1: Chinese GP postponed amidst Coronavirus fears

The Shanghai race, the fourth of the new season, becomes the latest -- but easily the most high-profile -- sports event to fall victim to the virus outbreak which has killed more than 1,100 people in China

Listen to this article :
This picture has been used for representation purpose

This picture has been used for representation purpose

The Chinese Grand Prix scheduled for April 19 was postponed Wednesday because of the "continued spread" of the deadly coronavirus, motorsport's governing body FIA announced. The FIA said promotors of the Shanghai race had requested a postponement "in view of the continued spread of novel coronavirus", now named COVID-19. "As a result of continued health concerns and with the @WHO (World Health Organisation) declaring the coronavirus as a global health emergency, the FIA and @F1 Formula 1 have taken these measures in order to ensure the health and safety of the travelling staff, championship participants and fans," the ruling body said.

The Shanghai race, the fourth of the new season, becomes the latest -- but easily the most high-profile -- sports event to fall victim to the virus outbreak which has killed more than 1,100 people in China, where it emerged at the end of last year. Renault F1 team principal Cyril Abiteboul described the Shanghai news as "a disappointment". The postponement also throws into doubt the inaugural F1 race in Vietnam, which is scheduled for two weeks before Shanghai and where there have also been cases of COVID-19.

Trending Stories

Latest Photoscta-pos

Latest VideosView All

Latest Web StoriesView All

Mid-Day FastView All

Advertisement