Updated On: 17 January, 2022 09:43 AM IST | Mumbai | Somita Pal
Third wave COVID deaths in Mumbai hit double digits last week, and 90 per cent of these were senior citizens. Doctors clarify that while Omicron is restricted to the upper respiratory tract, Delta variant is still playing spoilsport
A senior citizen takes her shot at Nair hospital. Pic/Suresh Karkera
As COVID-19 fatalities in the third wave hit double digits for the first time on January 15, data shows that 88.40 per cent of those who lost their lives in the past 15 days were senior citizens. Doctors told mid-day that most were affected by the Delta variant, or compromised by no vaccination or having taken just one dose. They have, however, suggested that a detailed study be conducted for clarity on the casualties of the third wave, which is dominated by the Omicron variant that is causing mild infection.
Doctors said that the upper respiratory tract infection—nose, nasal cavity, mouth, throat and voice box—was seen in most cases during the third COVID-19 wave, but in most deaths, the Coronavirus infection had spread to the lungs or the lower respiratory tract. As per the data received from the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC), the city has seen 69 deaths from January 1 to January 15. While 61 of them were aged 60 years and above, the remaining eight were in the age group of 40-59 years.